[Foundation-l] What are the assets of the Foundation, anyway?

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 00:43:37 UTC 2007

On 4/18/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Then you have not understood it. The WMF enjoys tremendous
> international goodwill; as a consequence, there is a very large
> potential for pro bono help from cyberlaw experts at institutions like
> the Berkman Center.

This is not a cyberlaw issue.  It's a basic, garden variety trust,
tax, and corporate law issue.  Exactly NOT the sort of thing you
should be going to your friends at the Berkman Center for.

> This is exactly where the task of developing a risk management
> strategy belongs - in a large, international team of legal experts.
> And I see no reason why this process should not be managed by the
> person we hire for the LC position.  I respect your opinion, but your
> brain seems to be pretty well programmed for fear and aggression.
> That's not a good basis for risk assessment.

Pot.  Kettle.  Black.

I hope, for your sake, that the lawyers looking for an excuse to sue
you wait until you hire this "large, international team of legal
experts".  I know I wouldn't be.

Kelly