[Foundation-l] what do we do in the event the Foundation fails? - Re: Pol...

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 22:31:06 UTC 2007

On 18/04/07, Mohamed Magdy <mohamed.m.k at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 2) Any new community will essentially have to rebuild the user account
> > database from scratch. This will slow down initial growth very
> > significantly. At the same time, if a designated successor
> > organization already has a replicated database they can use, that
> > would make things easier.

> A thought: how would you ensure that this -successor- organization would
> have the same goals and way of thinking of the current foundation?

You couldn't.

The user database is something that should be freed if possible. Not
the passwords to WMF - but the fact that it's what credits
contributions to their creator. Proprietising this and using it as
leverage in blessing a chosen successor fork in case of disaster
strikes me as a bad thing - can people only prove they wrote something
if they choose the right fork to work with?

- d.