[Foundation-l] Policy governance ends

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 02:38:01 UTC 2007

I understand how Birgitte feels. I hope that MediaWiki/WMF will
develop a more structured relationship between specific projects and
developers, re: technical requests (usually to install/create
extensions, sometimes patch existing functionality). Wikipedia is
well-served in this regards but the other projects, not so much.
Sometimes it seems the wiki users and the developers have somewhat
competing needs, eg wiki users want ease of use, develops want
security and good performance. It would be good to have guidelines for
what a reasonable request from a community should look like (community
support, where it should be made and how formulated etc), and what a
reasonable response from the developer should look like. It would be
nice if we non-Wikipedia projects felt we were being "looked after".
Like maybe a developer position that was called "WMF community
liaison" and this person handled requests from/for Wikimedia wikis.

Actually, that would be one of my short/medium term ends. :)

I feel that part of the reason it is hard at the moment, is because
there are not really enough developers and the existing ones are
swamped from all angles. That's why my very first 'end' was "major
expansion of MediaWiki development".

cheers
Brianna
user:pfctdayelise