[Foundation-l] Policy governance ends

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 01:09:11 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:
> On 4/16/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> What do you think we should achieve ? If you had 5 points to list, what
>> would they be ?
>>
> Well, I'm not sure if this was what you were looking for, but one
> thing I came up with while thinking about this is I'd like to see
> Wikinews become the best news source.  At the least, it should be as
> good as Wikipedia.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_shootings is much better
> than http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Shooting_at_Virginia_Tech_college_in_USA%3B_at_least_33_dead#Locations.
>  In fact, I'd say it's better than
> http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html as well.
>
> Following your lead of "at what cost", I think it could be done
> cheaply or even for free.  $30K/year or so for a full-time employee
> dedicated to seeing it happen would increase the chances of seeing it
> happen, I suppose.  But for the most part, I think just being
> dedicated to making it happen, at the board and the community level,
> would be enough.
>
> Anthony

Nod.
This is on the same level than the idea expressed by Yann. My problem
with this one though is that it is hard to measure afterwards. How do
you know a project has improved ? You may measure "number of languages"
or "number of articles", but how do you measure "higher quality".

If we tell the staff, your END is to improve the quality of Wikinews,
how do we afterwards assess whether there was an improvement or not ?
What is an improvement ? Practically ?

Ant