[Foundation-l] Policy governance ends

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 00:59:27 UTC 2007

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:

> I don't understand this email. For one thing, there are many different
> "ends," "goals," "objectives," or what have you.

I do understand your email generally, but I must say I do not understand
that sentence.

Rather than picking a random
> number--four in this case--you might want to consider identifying numerous  "ends"
> and prioritizing them.

*I* am not picking up 4 ends (ends is different than goals). I am
suggesting people to brainstorm and come up with a few ones.

What I hope to do is to collect a list of ends, put them on a page on
meta, have them refined by editors. I have a list already on my wiki,
some defined, some less defined. Some from the board retreat, some from
the last board meeting, but whilst we have a list, I think it is a good
idea to see if editors might not have other ideas that make sense, or
approaches different but more interesting than the ones we have.

Mostly, I do think that the board is there to listen to what editors
want the foundation to be. I could do that alone, I prefer asking them.

Then, when a list is available, what I hope is to let it open for
editors to somehow express what they feel is a priority. A sort of poll.
Then go to the board with that list (I hope they will have participated
in creating it !) and have a final list retained and officially approved.

> For instance, in a worst-case scenario that there is only limited funds to
> adequately cover server costs/bandwidth or wikimania, it remains for the board
> to decide whether it should forego one, or alternately, split costs and do a
> half-assed job with both.

By the way, this isn't so far from the truth. If
> there  are multiple ends, some, while important, will always have to be put
> aside  because of other pressing needs. It is not just ends, but priorities.

I think you should read the model description again (Carver one if you
did not understand my mail). Allow me to tell it boldly. The board is
the boss of the ED. As such, the board tells the ED "the website must be
in working order" and "there must be a Wikimania".

When we say that, we are not defining priorities. We are not telling him
"if you have time, and if you feel like it, could you do one or the
other. And if you are really successful, we could appreciate if you
could do both, but of course, it is up to you, we are just telling your
about our sense of what should be your priorities".

When we say that, we say "your job is to have a website running and to
organise Wikimania. You fail ? You are fired".

> That said, I would say that the foremost "end" is financial sustainability.
> How much money is needed for minimal operations? Is that coming in? Are the
> sources dependable? Are there alternatives if a source is cut off? What new,
> untapped sources are there?
>
> Next I would look at the legal requirements. How are we in securing our
> assets? What else needs to be done? How are we at compliance with government
> regulations for not for profits? What can be improved?

All this is interesting, but not an End as defined in this model. The
purpose of the Ends is to list a collection of things we want the ED (or
the staff in absence of an ED) to take care of. So, what we should
create is not a list of questions, but a list of what must happen.

One "legal" end for example, might be that all trademarks of our
projects must be secured in countries xx.
The way to do it is not to ask "Are all of our tms registered in
countries xxx ?", but rather to tell the executive, here is YOUR job.
You have 6 months, and this should be done. Period. You are in charge of
organising yourself the way you want, but have it done.

> Finally, one last question--all of the things you raise, Florence, were
> discussed at the Board-Chapter retreat in Frankfurt this autumn. A series of
> recommendations was made. Why are you reinventing the wheel? Was that  retreat an
> (expensive) exercise in futility? I just don't understand.

Actually, I was looking at the list just 3 days ago, and thought that
many of the items listed then for the BOARD to do, had been indeed done.
One of the few items left for the board is "reorganisation", and that is
what I am currently trying to do.

Many of the executive items have not been done. They certainly will be
there.

Anthere