[Foundation-l] Policy governance ends

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Mon Apr 16 22:14:16 UTC 2007

I don't understand this email. For one thing, there are many different
"ends," "goals," "objectives," or what have you. Rather than picking a random
number--four in this case--you might want to consider identifying numerous  "ends"
and prioritizing them.

For instance, in a worst-case scenario that there is only limited funds to
adequately cover server costs/bandwidth or wikimania, it remains for the board
to decide whether it should forego one, or alternately, split costs and do a
half-assed job with both. By the way, this isn't so far from the truth. If
there  are multiple ends, some, while important, will always have to be put
aside  because of other pressing needs. It is not just ends, but priorities.

That said, I would say that the foremost "end" is financial sustainability.
How much money is needed for minimal operations? Is that coming in? Are the
sources dependable? Are there alternatives if a source is cut off? What new,
untapped sources are there?

Next I would look at the legal requirements. How are we in securing our
assets? What else needs to be done? How are we at compliance with government
regulations for not for profits? What can be improved?

Finally, one last question--all of the things you raise, Florence, were
discussed at the Board-Chapter retreat in Frankfurt this autumn. A series of
recommendations was made. Why are you reinventing the wheel? Was that  retreat an
(expensive) exercise in futility? I just don't understand.

Danny

In a message dated 4/16/2007 6:41:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,