[Foundation-l] Blogs vs. Wikis

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Apr 15 06:30:56 UTC 2007

Erik Moeller wrote:

>On 4/15/07, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 4/14/07, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Most definitions of 'free' still include life-plus-seventy copyleft,
>>>likewise a compromise of freedom.
>>>

>>Copyleft a compromise of freedom as is the prohibition against killing
>>anyone you think looks ugly.
>>

>I think Sam's point was rather that it would be sensible for copyleft
>(and other) licenses to include a provision for earlier expiry of
>copyright than the default, i.e. life of the author + 70. Instead, it
>could be something like 14 years. After that period, the license would
>revert to the most permissive model allowable under the governing
>legal system (ideally PD). Which I would agree with, but it should be
>done as part of a concerted effort for copyright reform.

I recently bought a book from New Zealand where the author added in the
copyright notice that the copyright would expire 2 years after his
death.  It would be a positive step forward if more authors could be
persuaded to do that kind of thing.

Copyright was originally conceived to protect authors, not publishers,
and it was that kind of thinking that went into the repealed renewal
provisions in US copyright law.

Ec