[Foundation-l] Adminship tools on Commons

Ayelie (Editor at Large) ayelie.at.large at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 23:23:46 UTC 2007

On 4/14/07, Darko Bulatovic <mail at itam.ws> wrote:

> You are absolutely right, and that is oblivious requirements, but all
> the time I trying to tell something different.
>
> I just wanted to show part of his appeal on that request page:
>
> *I would like to receive sysop privileges so that I can help translate
> the Commons to Hebrew. I would also like some informtaion on the
> translation process.*
>
> Check:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Administrators/Requests_and_votes/Yonidebest-2
>
> As you can see, he didn't know the translation process, and the reason
> for asking is to translate - assuming that he need (someone told him )
> to have that privilege.
>
> It's seem to me quite clear, that here is miss-understanding problem,
> and still some people don't see it.
>

> Darko

Please note the second (ignore the number) request for adminship here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Administrators/Requests_and_votes/Yonidebest-1-
the whole comment section is about translation; explaining, pointing to
helpful pages, and answering questions. In particular note these comments:

* Yonidebest: rather than seek adminship, put the translations on the talk
pages, and then list the pages on
COM:AN<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/COM:AN>and an administrator
will transfer them over. Many other users do this for
other languages.
pfctdayelise<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pfctdayelise>
(说什么? <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Pfctdayelise>) 00:44, 28
March 2007 (UTC)

   - I have no time for games, especially in a project that needs extra
   editing time because it doesn't support rtl languages and thus needs extra
   design efforts. Instead of running forth and back in talk pages, I rather do
   the job on my own and be done with it.
Yonidebest<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Yonidebest>03:55, 28
March 2007 (UTC)
      - I did that for 100's of translations, ar text (RTL). No
      problems what ever. I can't see a problem with that.
--Tarawneh<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tarawneh>20:45, 2
April 2007 (UTC)
         - Pehaps. I on the other hand don't see why not to give a
         trusted sysop wikipedian the tools he needs to translate this site.
         Yonidebest<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%AA%D7%9E%D7%A9:Yonidebest>Ω
         Talk<http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=%D7%A9%D7%99%D7%97%D7%AA_%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%AA%D7%9E%D7%A9:Yonidebest&action=edit>22:37,
2 April 2007 (UTC)

Yoni understood that edits could be made to talk pages, and other info which
is on the page linked to above was also noted, including mention of SVN and
beta-wiki.

~Ayelie