[Foundation-l] Adminship tools on Commons

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 22:02:23 UTC 2007

On 4/14/07, Alison Wheeler <wikimedia at alisonwheeler.com> wrote:
> A thought from the sidelines here, rather than about this particular case.
> Whilst a "local community" should, I concurr, decide who is and who is not
> to be an admin/sysop of the local projects - be they language-based or
> otherwise (books/source/pedia/tionary/etc) I do wonder whether the same
> should apply in all cases to commons, specifically because commons is a
> resource for *all* the Wikimedia projects world-wide, and not strictly a
> "local" project at all.
[snip]

Local approval actually has *reduced* merit for commons for the same
reasons you cite.  Someone might be a enwiki super-hero, but adminship
on commons requires behavior which is deserving of the trust of users
from all projects... behavior which is sensitive to the needs of many
projects, cultures, and languages.

The local representatives of any wiki are not especially qualified to
speak on behalf of a participants ability to act in the interest of
all projects... Hopefully the commons community is doing a good job
there.

Of course, admins on other projects are welcome and encouraged to
become commons administrators... but part of that is learning to ropes
of commons, some of which are unique to commons.. in part because of
the cross-language cross-project purpose of commons.