[Foundation-l] Adminship tools on Commons

Ayelie (Editor at Large) ayelie.at.large at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 19:59:17 UTC 2007

Darko, the main issue is that Commons admins have outlined how Yoni can
translate pages without having sysop access; he can add the translation to
the talk page of a protected page and add the {{editprotect}} template, or
he can post them on a subpage of his and ask an admin to add it to the
proper page.

He has done NO translations to any of the pages he says he will translate if
he gets sysop rights, stating that it is a "waste of time" doing it in the
manner we have suggested. He wishes to be granted sysop rights immediately
despite the fact that he has not yet shown that he is a quality member of
the Commons community. If he had begun translations on talk pages and
subpages, made useful contributions, and participated in discussions as is
expected of administrator candidates then there would have been, by now or
in time, no problem with granting him sysop access if the community agreed.
However he instead chose to wait and do nothing, then bring people from
he.wikipedia to vote for him in hopes we would make him a sysop on our
project.

Adminship on Commons is based on Commons contributions, and what the user
has already done and how they have proven to interact with the community.
Adminship elsewhere or the fact that you run a bot on another wiki does not
mean you automatically qualify to be an administrator on the Commons, where
our work deals mostly with copyrights and images.

Regards,
Ayelie