[Foundation-l] Regards marking article revisions as stable

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Apr 13 08:32:43 UTC 2007

Virgil Ierubino wrote:

>I understand that this is a planned feature for the MediaWiki software.
>
>I heard recently that a co-founder of Wikipedia has become highly
>dissatisfied with it on account of it containing so many factual errors that
>it was useless (and beyond repair), and he's quite right - this is a major
>issue that needs to be addressed. Obviously, the ability to mark
>revisions is the perfect solution. If there was a way to pick out a revision
>as being error-free (I assume, synonymous with "stable"), Wikipedia could
>potentially progress towards being an academically-citable encyclopedia.

The kind of claims that Sanger might make are part of the background
noise.  Nothing is served by getting drawn in by Sanger's alarums and
panics.  Stable version will deal with some of the problems, and I
certainly will support it if it ever shows signs of becoming a reality.
The error rate, however, is not that bad, and of errors are pointed out
they are soon corrected.  That would happen faster if people who find
these errors just went ahead and fixed them.

Ec