[Foundation-l] governance

Sean Whitton sean at silentflame.com
Wed Apr 11 13:57:58 UTC 2007

In general, what you have suggested is very good. I agree with the
notion that we will not be able to adopt the model fully - this is
never going to work because of what WMF is. Not only are we not like a
business (which I presume the documentation you got this from was
aimed at), we are not even like a normal charity - Wikimedia is an
experimentation with something entirely new.

On this note I am pleased that you decided to open this up to the
community first, demonstrating our difference in this way. As you say,
anyone is free to join our mailing lists and discuss the plethora of
issues that the Foundation has to deal with. This, in my opinion, is a
good thing - I should think that partners/sponsors etc. can and should
accept this when collaborating with us - they wouldn't be working with
the same organisation if they didn't.