[Foundation-l] Let me ask this a third time WAS: EDP: US servers loophole?

Nyenyec N nyenyec at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 02:46:15 UTC 2007

Sorry if I can't make myself very clear, English is not my first language.
I'd like to get an answer to what I think is a simple question
regarding the Foundation's intent behind the Licensing policy
resolution available at
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Licensing_policy

The text says:

EDP: a project-specific policy, in accordance with United States law
and the law of countries where the project content is predominantly
accessed (if any), that recognizes the limitations of copyright law
(including case law) as applicable to the project, and permits the
upload of copyrighted materials that can be legally used in the
context of the project, regardless of their licensing status

End quote.

Let me phrase my issue as yes/no questions.

If the Hungarian Wikipedia accepted an EDP that allowed types of media
for which _Hungarian_ copyright law prohibits distribution without the
copyright holder's permission, but based on the _US_ concept of fair
use they could be used for illustration in certain cases, then

a) would it be against the intent of the Resolution?
b) would such an EDP be acceptable for the Foundation?

As I tried to describe before, there are classes of images that we
cannot use if we hold ourselves to Hungarian copyright law (e.g. movie
posters fall into this category I believe). Currently HuWiki uses them
based on the fact that the server is located in the US and the US
"fair use" doctrine does not prohibit the distribution of such images
when used properly.

If this is not the right forum to ask this question, could you please
point me to the person or site where I should go to?

Thanks,
nyenyec