[Foundation-l] elections

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 14:17:56 UTC 2007

I have hard feelings for this proposal. I am afraigh that it will only
mek the gap between the english Wikipedia and the rest of Wikimedia
bigger. In the current board, there is only one native english speaker
on the elected seats, one french, one german and one dutch. I think
"alliences" would only create a schism, and would also enlarge the
idea that the other communities are evil, as it is for instance the
"Dutch candidate" vs the "Frensh candidate", which is ridiculous.
Further it is not that we want a Boltzmann distribution over the
languages, but we want the best candidates. If the best candidates are
all in the French Wikipedia, well, they shoulc be elected. And if they
are mostly in the english, so be it. I think we should prevent that a
boardmember from for instance the Finnish Wikipedia should only feel
him/herself a representative for that single project. With this type
of elections that idea is stringthened.

Of course you can not and want not to prevent that a user is mostly
supported by the people of his/her own project. Those are the people
who know him/her the best, and are easier able to make a good
decision. But I think it is very important that we are not
discriminating in the election rules on whatever quality, not even
language ability or home project. Please leave that up to the
community that is willing to vote.

So: decreasing the number of candidates: great.
Selecting on origin: Please not.

Greetings, Lodewijk