[Foundation-l] elections

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 19:26:55 UTC 2007

2007/4/6, effe iets anders <effeietsanders at gmail.com>:
> Hello everybody,
>
> If I recall correctly, the term of three board members (Erik, Oscar
> and Kat) will end in june this year. That will mean elections. I would
> like to start a civil discussion on what (if anything) should be
> changed compared to last year in the procedure, so the elections will
> be as nice as possible.
>
> There are a few points I would like to bring in myself:
>
> 1) The number of candidates
> Lat year, there were 15 candidates for 1 seat. A complaint heard a lot
> of tmes was that it was very hard to read all the statements. There
> was just too much to read. This year, there will be three seats to
> decide over, and the community has in the mean while more then
> doubled. It is thus very likely that the number of people willing to
> be candidate will increase even more. How to keep it possible for
> human beings (i.e. the people who are not able to keep track of this
> list ;-) ) to read enough of all candidates to make a proper choise,
> not just based on "he's american, i dont like him for that reason. I
> know her, lets vote on her. He's French, and we dont want too many
> french people, so oppose" and other not very rational reasons. Because
> you force people to irrationalism when you make it too hard to decide
> rationally.

It is maybe not good idea, but we could create 2 level elections in such a way:
*First level - candidate has to win local election on one of the
projects - the rules for this local elections should be similar on all
projects, the number of candidates per projects might depend on the
size of the project. Smaller projects may create an "alliance" to be
able to propose a candidate.
*Second level - 7-10 days elections on meta of the candidates
preselected on projects.

The good thing with such a system will be to give a chance to vote for
all those who do not speak English and are not active on meta.

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.poli.toya.net.pl