[Foundation-l] check user...

wiki_tomos at inter7.jp wiki_tomos at inter7.jp
Sun Apr 1 08:56:31 UTC 2007

I think Samuel Klein suggested that the difference, though conceivable
in theory, may be like between 20cents and 10cents. I have to agree
that it might be the case. (I don't have a good idea).

I am not very informed about the amount of checkuser abuse or
legal consequences of the abuses. For one thing, check user
log is not open to the public (which I think has its own
merits). I know one checkuser was demoted on Japanese Wikipedia,
and no public explanation was given on that.

Legal consequences may include, though I am not a lawyer and this
involves my own uneducated speculation, improperly giving an IP address
to an outsiderwho in tern sues the wikipedian; improperly filing a
complaint to an objectionable Wikipedian's ISP and get his
service contract terminated; improperly filing a complaint to an
objectional wikipedian's workplace or a school and get him punished
institutionally.

I have no idea if these things have happened or how likely those
turn of events are. I wish someone with proper access and legal knowledge
have thought about this...

By the way, just to answer another point Samuel raised -
my understanding (okay, speculation, I should say) is that the
Wikimedia Foundation does not have to monitor outside contractors'
privacy compliance as much as its own (volunteer) staffs'.

Well, I am not sure how much help this was, but that all I can
say so far..

Best,

Tomos