[Foundation-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Gatto Nero gattonero at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 20:27:26 UTC 2006

2006/9/29, SJ <2.718281828 at gmail.com>:

> I don't recall any bid including signed sponsorship contracts; so in every case
> sponsorship was in some way "not fully secure".   Sponsorship was also only
> one of many factors in the decisions (and conspiracy theories aside,
> it never seemed
> like the most important one).

That's really funny, 'cause noone has been able to bring some
believable reason for this choice. So:
*Taipei has not been choosen cause it was in Asia
*Taipei has not been choosen cause it had some strange sponsorship
Then, why has Taipei been choosen? For the funny weather in summer, rain season?

> > Should we deny that sj said Taipei was chosen 'cause "in the end they
> > had the most surplus sponsorship, in fact"?
>
> Out of context.  Taipei was not chosen "because" of sponsorship, at
> least that was not the
> deciding factor for me, though (see above) that was one of the factors
> considered
> for every bid.
>
> The above quote (I did not say 'because') was in response to the claim
> that Turin had full sponsorship, unlike other bids; when in fact it
> was not the only bid with full sponsorship (and in some ways that bid
> had less sponsorship than Taipei's; cf. breakfasts).  Again, beyond
> noting the bids for which all major costs were covered, the specifics
> of sponsorship amount or surplus was not a deciding factor in the
> discussion.

Context:

set 25 02:19:35 metasj	the result this year was uncertain even in the
last days; and the discussion was about the quality of each aspect of
the bids
set 25 02:19:54 metasj	taipei also managed to get everything paid for,
with institutional support...
set 25 02:20:05 AlisonW	so did we
set 25 02:20:11 AlisonW	so did Torino
set 25 02:20:12 metasj	(in the end they had the most surplus
sponsorship, in fact)

> > Should we deny that this decision caused a rift and quite a fight
> > between the components of the jury?
>
> It's funny, it caused a rift a day and a half after the decision,
> after a lot of emotional comments from the community; it did not
> during the jury discussion.
>
> -- SJ

Excuse me sir, it caused a rift THE NIGHT the decision was made. Or
are you saying that the decision has been took before september 25?

Gatto Nero