[Foundation-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 12:11:30 UTC 2006

--- Gatto Nero <gattonero at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2006/9/29, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:
>
> > In Taipei we will have a completely different
> event from the event in
> > Frankfurt and Boston. Each time we learned new
> things and the resulting
> > offers for hosting were different as a
> consequence. Not allowing for this by
> > saying in advance that Turin does not have to do
> "the work" again is imho
> > stupid. In order for Turin to be a competitor next
> year, they have to
> > analyse what went wrong; was it their offer, their
> presentation sheer bad
> > luck?
>
> Turin is not in Asia.
> (Oh, and we didn't talk about "secret sponsorship",
> right: how came
> that a bid as been even shortlisted with this sort
> of "Yes, you have
> to trust us: we have a huuuuuge sponsor but we
> cannot tell you who,
> secret secret!"?
> Not talking about strange flight cost, strange
> "surplus sponsorship"
> and other funny reason...)
>
> [Beware: this is Gatto Nero's opinion, not
> "Wikimania2007Torino
> Bidding Team"'s opinion]

I don't see a problem with not being able to publicly
name a sponser.  I am sure they were aware that
winning the bid was based on this and if it had not
been posted publically afterwards the win should have
beeen revoked.  Strange flight costs do sound like a
problem, but I don't know what mean by this.  Have
they changed their numbers after they won?

Birgitte SB