[Foundation-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 28 23:39:48 UTC 2006

On 9/29/06, Brad Patrick <bradp.wmf at gmail.com> wrote:
> We can do a better job with this procedurally, but honestly, there is
> only one winner in such a situation.  It is ultimately a
> winner-take-all competition.  To the extent this runs counter to the
> community culture of wikilove, I don't there is an alternative.

I don't think it runs counter to wikilove, but perhaps we need to make
it clearer to people that, yes, they may spend weeks on preparing a
bid that will not be accepted. And as has been pointed out time and
again, Wikimania cannot, should not and will not be the only Wikimedia
event happening in a single year.

Organizing events is very much within the domain of chapters, and we
have a UK chapter. Is there a reason some of the lessons from
preparing the bid could not be used to prepare a more focused wiki
event in the UK? (*draws wiki youth camp idea  from hat*)
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.