[Foundation-l] Proposal re: sep11.wikipedia.org

Tim 'avatar' Bartel wikipedia at computerkultur.org
Thu Sep 28 17:07:26 UTC 2006

Hi Wikipedians,

Robert Scott Horning schrieb am 28.09.2006 18:26:
> Anthony wrote:
>>
>>If the wiki is truly not within the scope of the mission of the
>>foundation, which *many* people feel is true, then having it on
>>Wikimedia's servers and domain names confuses people as to what is the
>>mission of the foundation.
>
> This, to me, is an ex-post facto redefinition of the scope and mission
> of the Wikimedia Foundation, or something akin to backronyms.  This is
> only outside of the scope of the WMF because those involved with the day
> to day affairs of the WMF just don't want to be bothered with this.  It
> isn't part of some more noble and legalistic attitude that seems to be
> presented here.

It seems crystal clear to me, that their is a big difference between
sep11 and any other WM project, take the NPOV for an example. It also
seems to irritate people from the outside. We had supporters in germany
- mainly two big universities - who stated that they are very unhappy in
helping us out with projects or mirroring the wikipedia dvd/books/mobile
files (yeah, I know, theese are project from third parties) in the
future, because they disagree that sep11 suits into the WM project
portfolio and the "scope & mission" and that they are unable to support
us further.

Well, not to be misunderstood: This concrete occurence is more than a
year old and I don't argue, that we should do what outsiders demands
from us only to get their support. This should only be an example that
many people think, that sep11 don't fit to our mission and that they are
confused indeed.

Bye and sorry for my bad English, Tim.

--
http://wikipedistik.de