[Foundation-l] A Wikimedia sidebar box for wikipedia.org

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Thu Sep 28 16:37:08 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:

>I think the best way forward, as per the discussion, is to first
>launch a larger effort to improve the WMF site. We can then add a
>sidebar to e.g. en.wp and see what the effects are; if we consider it
>useful, we can add it to all wikis by Board resolution or Executive
>decree, or leave it up to the communities to implement it.

Out of curiosity, how much information on the WMF site is confidential
in nature and shouldn't get out to anybody else?

One of the problems that I see with this site is the near absence of
anybody willing to keep up the content, even though I'm sure there would
be some willing and able participants who are knowledable and trusted
enough to be able to take on the task.  While I don't think it should be
opened completely to anybody and everbody like wikipedia, the process to
allow additional users to gain edit access is quite bureaucratic and
could be updated to encourage more "trusted" and "active" Wikimedia
users to get involved if they want to.  Nothing against the current
people who are working on it, but they tend to be board members and
other people who are very busy with other WMF tasks and don't seem to
have the time necessary to really put the polish on that is needed.

So this is an open question:   How does somebody, anybody, gain access
to be able to help out in developing the WMF site?

Or another general question:  Should the number of people helping out to
develop and add content to the WMF site be increased substantially?

--
Robert Scott Horning