[Foundation-l] Proposal re: sep11.wikipedia.org

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Thu Sep 28 16:26:28 UTC 2006

Anthony wrote:

>On 9/26/06, James Hare <messedrocker at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I recognize that, but I didn't work it properly. In order to comply, AND
>>delete extremely old edits, we have to copy the older edit history over to
>>the talk page. But space is not a pressing issue, so why don't we do what we
>>have been doing, which has not been a problem? Hard disk drives are cheap.
>>

>If the wiki is truly not within the scope of the mission of the
>foundation, which *many* people feel is true, then having it on
>Wikimedia's servers and domain names confuses people as to what is the
>mission of the foundation.

This, to me, is an ex-post facto redefinition of the scope and mission
of the Wikimedia Foundation, or something akin to backronyms.  This is
only outside of the scope of the WMF because those involved with the day
to day affairs of the WMF just don't want to be bothered with this.  It
isn't part of some more noble and legalistic attitude that seems to be
presented here.

I am suggesting that I and some others have a contrary viewpoint here,
and it shouldn't be assumed that this is an unanimous decision to shut
down this project in this manner.  I admit that sometimes decisions like
this need to be made, but please be honest about why they are being made
rather than trying to sugar coat them to be for reasons that really
don't exist.

--
Robert Scott Horning