[Foundation-l] [Wikimediauk-l] [Fwd: Royal Society Digital Journal Archive]

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 02:23:04 UTC 2006

On 9/27/06, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I can understand the publisher being upset if there is systematic
> downloading occuring; they've put a great deal of time, energy and money
> into producing this archive which they hope to market to libraries and thus
> keep their publishing business alive.

It was probably a bit silly to make it all freely available then.

> On 9/27/06, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> > but bear in mind that the
> > archives, which were just completed and released, are only freely available
> > to the community until November 2006. After that, they will be included with
> > the Royal Society's journal packages, which are not cheap (though more
> > reasonable than many equivalent publishers):
>
> We have enough uni students that we could likely still get our hands
> on them if we needed to.

There was a discussion on a similar issue on the OTRS list recently.
Even if there is no copyright in the material from the archives, the
Society may have contractual rights against people who access the
material from subscription services.

I would want to read the terms of use for the subscription very
closely before I started uploading things accessed through a
subscription.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com