[Foundation-l] [Wikimediauk-l] [Fwd: Royal Society Digital Journal Archive]

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 22:49:06 UTC 2006

> To what extent is this true under US law?
>
> The claim to ownership of a scan from 1665 is odious. Perhaps it's just
> me.
>

> - d.
>

> On 26/09/06, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:

I've not followed the Wikimedia-UK discussion, but bear in mind that the
archives, which were just completed and released, are only freely available
to the community until November 2006. After that, they will be included with
the Royal Society's journal packages, which are not cheap (though more
reasonable than many equivalent publishers):
http://www.pubs.royalsoc.ac.uk/index.cfm?page=1365

So I can understand the publisher being upset if there is systematic
downloading occuring; they've put a great deal of time, energy and money
into producing this archive which they hope to market to libraries and thus
keep their publishing business alive. This is less feasible if all these
issues are on Wikipedia. IANAL, but I expect if someone *else* (you or me)
wanted to go and do the work of scanning and indexing themselves, the
Society would have a more difficult time claiming copyright, as the text
itself is probably in the public domain. The intellectual property comes
with the work of arrangement, cataloging and transferring to a new medium.
As far as I know, this is the case (or claimed case, anyway) with many
digital archives of old material in the U.S.

-- Phoebe