[Foundation-l] did i miss something?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 22:19:55 UTC 2006

On 9/27/06, oscar <oscar.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> therefore: not only did erik unjustly request steward-access, thus using his
> newly acquired board authority to invoke maximum userrights for himself on
> the projects, the rights were actually given to him by his friend tim
> starling who never was an elected steward at all, but holds these rights,
> just as brion vibber does, purely as a developer, for technical reasons. i
> am sorry, but both went out of line here. the fact that he knew how to use
> the rights, yet seemed not to know how to take them away raises some more
> questions even.

Not really I suspect most admins don't know exactly what they can do.
Something I am rather relived by. Unless you have experimented with a
mediawiki installation offsite you are  unlikely to know exactly what
permission levels allow you to do before you obtain them.

> it is because i could amost not believe that both had attempted to overstep
> their bounds so much, that i actually thought there might have been a board
> resolution of which i had no knowledge at all, therefore the title ''did i
> miss something?''

There are presidents for both actions. Developers have in the past
taken action to rapidly halt what appeared to be rogue admins. And of
course there is the case of jimbo giving himself powers to carry out
the actions he did in what is generaly known as the pedophilia userbox
wheel war.
--
geni