[Foundation-l] [Wikimediauk-l] [Fwd: Royal Society Digital Journal Archive]

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 11:53:48 UTC 2006

2006/9/27, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com>:

> 5. I'm in Australia, downloading something from the United Kingdom, and
> uploading it to a server in the United States. Since there are
> conflicting copyright laws at work here, which one applies?

In my opinion, both Australian and United States law apply. Australian
law restricts your right to upload the material to a public or
semi-public place, and US law restricts the right to spread them from
the server over the world. UK law could only restrict your
downloading, however it could still be of importance because the
original copyright of the material is in the United Kingdom, and
national copyright law sometimes refers to the laws of the country of
original publication to decide whether something is still under
copyright. That might even be mandatory in the Berne Convention, but
I'm not sure about that.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels