[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation logo policy

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 22:26:23 UTC 2006

Today there was a question in the Dutch Pub about whether a certain
website would be allowed to use the wikipedia logo. I don't want to go
into details, not do I want an answer now, but I just wanted to check
it on the official Logo Policy of the WMF.

I searched on the for me most logical place, [[m:logo]], and found,
after a lot of searching and help through IRC, these urls:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Logo_and_trademark_policy
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_visual_identity_guidelines

The second is policy, and deals a lot on *how* to use the logo. Was
nice, but not for the questions i needed an answer on. I needed to
know *when* a company, foundation, community, person is allowed to use
the logo. The first appeared not to be official policy. It was usefull
in principle, but I couldn't direct people to there, as it wasn't
official. (can't check because of db-down when it was last changed)

To my best knowledge, there is already quite some time a trademark
committee (since february 2006?), of whom I thikn they could be taking
care of this.

Is there a reason why this policy is waiting this long? Is the
foundation currently working on this, is there already a resolution
waiting maybe even? Is the Trademark committee indeed responsible and
working on this issue? I don't want the proposal to be half-good, but
I want the discussion going on, and get a good result as soon as it is
possible. I hope this is something that hase not disappeared from your
thoughts yet.

Greetz, Lodewijk