[Foundation-l] Proposal re: sep11.wikipedia.org

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Sep 26 00:03:46 UTC 2006

Robert Scott Horning wrote:
> If this is a worry about hard drive space on the computers,

Nope. The space is trivial.

> BTW, offers have been made in the past to privately host this content
> (the sep11.wikipedia) but those offers are all more than a year old and
> circumstances have indeed changed.  I'm not exactly sure where to go
> with it, but closing it down completely just doesn't seem right to me.
>  I do support the "freeze" on the database, as I think the effort to add
> substantial quantities of content has essentially run its course.

Anyone anywhere is welcome to grab the dump files and host it at any time, as
they have been for years.

Personally I don't care whether Wikimedia continues to host the site or not; its
purpose was and remains simply to preserve pages that were being deleted from
Wikipedia.

If it's distracting to have it on an open but unattended wiki, of course, then
it becomes a nuisance; that's why it's been locked and there's talk of shutting
it down altogether.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)