[Foundation-l] Does anyone else think bugzilla is a complete failure

Ilya Haykinson haykinson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 16:57:42 UTC 2006

Ultimately this is an issue of answering the following question: Does the
Wikimedia Foundation have a responsibility to help projects it hosts with
development resources?

It appears that to some degree, the answer is yes: the foundation pays for
hosting and proper maintenance of servers to ensure uptime, and pays for
some development to move the platform forward.  However, so far the stance
has been that the projects are on their own when it comes to developing or
enabling additional features.

My recommendation would be that the foundation retains a technical assistant
(perhaps on a part-time basis); someone whose entire paid responsibility is
to be the arbiter of feature implementation.  Sometimes this person's job
might be to enable an extension, and make sure it doesn't break things when
it goes live; other times it might be trying to help implement a particular
minor change.   From trying to get some things deployed for Wikinews, I know
just how much of a pain it was to get a minor feature pushed through --
ultimately requiring months of back-and-forth for one page worth of code.
However, when we did get some of the technican Wikimedians' help (thank you
Brion!) we got our problems resolved within seconds.

I really believe that since Brion's job is likely to be defined in terms of
Wikimedia as a whole, it is cruicial to have someone else own the domain of
the little , individual problems on the technical front.  This way the small
projects won't have to wait months for the smallest changes.  I suspect that
having someone in that kind of a dedicated role will cut down a lot of
project frustration.

Alternatively, the foundation should make an explicit decision as to where
they want to deliniate the responsibility between the Foundation's technical
resources and the resources each project, chapter, or language is supposed
to provide to accomplish its goals.  This way each project will know what
they need to do themselves and what they should be expecting from WMF-based
resources.

-ilya haykinson
 en.wikinews