[Foundation-l] Candidate statements

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 22:42:34 UTC 2006

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/21/2006 6:24:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> 2.718281828 at gmail.com writes:
>
> Those  with better things to do will not read.  Those who are willing
> and  able to write, please do so.  The sooner and the more attentively
> to  detail, the better.
>

> I thought we were busy writing an encyclopedia.
>
> Danny
Danny,
We are not writing an encyclopaedia. We are also writing an
encyclopaedia. It is just one of the things that we do. The Foundation
is NOT about writing an encyclopaedia. The Foundation is about enabling
projects like Wiktionary in many languages, Wikibooks in many languages,
Wikiquote Wikinews and ALSO Wikipedia in many languages.

Given that the election is about governing the Foundation it is highly
relevant that people can be explicit in what they aim to do. When people
want to write a platform why they should be elected, it is for the
people that read it to comment on it and maybe even inform the rest
about potential silliness.

NB It has been said both by Anthere and Jimmy that the Foundation is
/not /about Wikipedia when commenting on some of the initial platforms
of Wikimedia Foundation board candidates.

Thanks,
    GerardM