[Foundation-l] Global Text Project

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 16:49:50 UTC 2006

The Global Text project has been getting some press lately:

Story from the New Scientist:
http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn9906-wikistyle-textbooks-to-aid-poorer-nations.html
Nature:
http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060911/full/060911-13.html (which talks
about Wikibooks)
Ars Technica (which mentions Wikiversity)

Apparently, the project's innovation is editorial control -- the Nature
story quotes the project manager, who is from the Universty of Georgia, as
saying "Anyone will be able to contribute to the new textbooks, true — but
unlike wikipedia, the online, user-made encyclopedia, only an editor will be
able to approve contributions. "

They don't seem to have gotten very far yet; their biggest example text
(about XML) is actually hosted on en.wikibooks.

--
phoebe ayers | brassratgirl /at/ gmail.com