[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 04:29:36 UTC 2006

As I wrote as responce to Birgitte in another time in this thread,

On 9/21/06, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> As for translation, which is of course very important, I think the best
> solution is probably more or less what's been done for this election -- make
> sure that every candidate provides a short statement of approximately equal
> length; make sure that this statement is assiduously translated into as many
> languages as possible;

So I think.

> but then allow (and encourage) candidates to post as
> much additional material as they wish, in whatever language(s) they are
> comfortable in, with no guarantee it will get translated.

and that I object (except "no guarantee" part). As I stated before, it
means "if you can read language A, you are provided more materials
than language non-A speakers". On local projects, I found some signs
some people thought such additional materials would be just a sign of
those candidates are anglo-centric.

Since the Election is not yet closed, I stop my wording here at this
moment. But frustration of non-English communities will follow a
conclusion which may be a nightmare for English people, I predict, and
perhaps for other language speaking people too.

Considering such reactions and frustrations on non-English speaking
communities, regarding equal-oppotunity of electrates, I strongly
oppose this idea.

--
Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org