[Foundation-l] GFDL conflicting with transfer of content?

valdelli at bluemail.ch valdelli at bluemail.ch
Wed Sep 20 08:15:30 UTC 2006

In Wikipedia we have sometimes the transfer of content among
different projects Wikipedia <--> Wikisource, Wikipedia <-->
Wikinews, Wikipedia <--> Wiktionary for example.

I don't know very well the status of all wikipedia but I am
following my personal experience.

But this usage is in in conflict with GFDL?

I could read here http://en.wikisource.
org/wiki/GNU_Free_Documentation_License some points which are not
respected like:

1.Preserve the section Entitled "History"....
2.Preserve the network location...

and so on.

IMHO it's possible to transfer but the original version must remain
in its original place (in this case it's a simple copy) or the
transfer is possible respecting some rules for example the transfer
of all history, of list of all author and maybe with agreement of
them.

If an article is transfered without taking care of all point listed
in the GFDL could an author request the reintegration of the article
in the original place? IMHO it is in its own rights!

Also the transfer of an article from a project in another is not
valid if the original place has got a place card who redirect at new
place where there is a modified version (adding also the lost of
history due to the transfer)!

What is your suggestion?

I ask because in a Wikipedia some people vote for transfer of some
articles which are accepted by the community in a previous call for
cancellation. In other words the article which are not cancelled
after some days are proposed for transfer.

Ilario