[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 16:47:18 UTC 2006

On 9/19/06, Jon Harald Søby <jhsoby at gmail.com> wrote:
> Indirect elections is a terrible idea. Indirect elections are used in
> a certain North-American country. It is an election type that allows a
> war-mongering cowboy who stands for less gun control, less social
> welfare programs, and who doesn't give a rat's ass about the
> enviroment ("there is no such thing as a human-created enviroment
> changes" my ass) to become the President even though he gets fewer
> votes than the other candidate. This should have taught people a
> lesson about indirect elections.
[snip]

You'll see no love of Bush from me, but your complaint is factually
inaccurate: Bush won the popular vote in the second election and even
had more then 50% of the votes.
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election%2C_2004#Election_results]

Even in the case of the first election, to me it seems a bit foolish
to complain about the electoral system when the popular vote was well
within the margin of error of the voting system overall.  ... and can
you really look at a results by state map
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election%2C_2000#Results]
and say that it is entirely unfair that Gore did not win?

It's simply not a black and white issue... and it's not fair to fault
an election process because it didn't go the way you prefer.

In the future it would make sense not to disrupt discussion about
Wikimedia operations with offtopic politically loaded interjections.