[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 06:06:01 UTC 2006

geni wrote:
> On 9/18/06, Luiz Augusto <lugusto at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another projetcs uses Mediawiki:sitenotice and Mediawiki:annonotice only if
>> it is REALLY necessary. The Portuguese Wikipedia community dislike to get a
>> warn every second to make donations (in any case, majority of editors in
>> Portuguese wikis are from Brazil and credit cart is a dispensable object in
>> that contry and mail donations is so very expensive).
>
> Taking that approach on en will get you de-admined.

... and as you're so famously good at doing, you haven't pointed out *why*.

The English Wikipedia is both the biggest and the oldest, and it's
always the one which dies under heavy load. In some ways it's because of
en: that continual fundraising is needed - mainly for hardware - and the
thought of *not* having the donations notice in there is, well,
unthinkable. Even the outage page has a link to the donations site.

However, I fully understand why people on other project wouldn't want to
see the donations notice all the time; but this is a difference of
culture and something we have to live with.