[Foundation-l] Citizendium, a new venture, will "fork" off from online encyclopedia Wikipedia

Daniel Arnold arnomane at gmx.de
Mon Sep 18 19:30:10 UTC 2006

Am Montag, 18. September 2006 13:12 schrieb David Gerard:
> Yes. Though we're notably lacking in forks that are actively edited;
> Wikinfo is the only one I know of. Other than that it's pretty much
> static mirror sites with Google ads.

There were/are at least two more serious efforts that knew how and what to
fork: One spanish and one german fork. Both did came up out if different
reasons. The spanish one because of fears that Wikipedia could commercialize
(you probably all know it) the german one because of fundamental disagreement
on quality and project scope (the fork founder regarded de.wikipedia as too
open towards everything).

Interestingly Sanger didn't have a such a huge impact like one could expect
given his Wikipedia history in the german language community although he
anounced it at Wizards of OS 4 in Berlin, Germany that quite some active
de.wikipedians and German Wikimedians attended.

One reason is: The ideas of Sanger are similar to the spirit of the fork of
the german language Wikipedia and thus people have had some experience on
such more "elitist" forks there. That de.wikipedia fork couldn't keep
momentum although these people are highly skilled and knew exactly what they
want to achieve and were really passionate about it. But despite the
usual "we dislike us each other rantings" that fork did help de.wikipedians
concentrating at least a little bit more on quality and content and not
meta-discussions as the critics in themselves weren't completely fetched out
of thin air but de.wikipedia started walking a completely different solution
path than they did.

As I can read it from the postings of some others seem to "wonder" (to express
it soft-gloved) on de.wikipedias content/quality policies: this is at least
partly due to that very fork and our lesson out of it.

So we should consider that Citizendium fork as helpful competition and not
regard this as enemy or something we should ignore or even denying the
Citizendium fork competence (this would be the most dangerous for us).

Citizendium will help us focusing ourselves on *content* (!) and on quality
improvements, although we have a different approach than they have.

Let us start now happy competiting and keeping the momentum in Wikipedia,
Wikisource, Wikimedia Commons, Wikinews, Wikibooks, Wiktionary...!

Arnomane