[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 15:20:37 UTC 2006

> I get press enquiries from non-English-speaking countries asking about
> "Wikipedia" and clearly meaning only en:wp. I often have to go to some
> effort to find a local editor to talk to them about their local
> Wikipedia. (It seems they usually use en: because it's much bigger and
> hence more useful to readers.)
[snip]

Raul654 was repeatedly introducing himself at Wikimania as
"Wikipedia's featured article director" and it drew nary a (public)
complaint.     :)    The press does such a bad job covering our
international focus that we don't even cry foul when our own
participants do a poor job of being sensitive to these issues.

I don't think we're going to get away from the fact that enwiki is the
1,000 lb gorilla and I don't think  that is a bad thing, but as Kelly
so clearly pointed out: there are things we can do to make sure the
foundation stays true to its international focus.