[Foundation-l] Fairy tales (was Re: Citizendium - feel free to insert your own ironic comment here)

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 18 01:19:33 UTC 2006

Austin Hair wrote:

> On 9/17/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Think about this fairy tale about this girly with a red riding hood..
>> She may have been eaten by the wolf but it was the wolf that ended up
>> down in the well with a belly full of stones.
>
> The Dutch must tell a different version of this story; the one I grew
> up with ends with a woodsman laying the wolf open with an ax.  (The
> wolf in our version was also a communist.)

European versions of fairy tales do indeed often vary from their
American counterparts. There's a tendency toward more ambiguity and some
things get edited to leave out the more unsettling bits. Children's
books and Disney versions are particularly responsible for this; more
faithful interpretations can be found with a little effort.

--Michael Snow