[Foundation-l] [Fwd: [Wmfcc-l] Citizendium, a new venture, will "fork" off from online encyclopedia Wikipedia]

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 06:44:37 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:
> Mathias Schindler wrote:
>
>> On 9/16/06, Florence Devouard <anthere at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>

>>> WASHINGTON INTERNET DAILY
>>>
>> Hi Anthere.
>>
>> What you did was violating the copyright in most of the states (anyone
>> shouting "fair use! fair use!" here?).
>>

> Oh ?
>
> You mean that's why much of the interesting discussions are right now
> taking place on the comcom list where very little people have access ?
>
> Okay. I'll forward them to internal instead.
>
>   Foundation-l gets archived
>
>> publicly, as far as I know. You are responsible for this incident and
>> I would like you to
>>
>> 1. remove this message from the archive before the owner of the
>> copyright DMCAs you, me and the Foundation.
>> 2. try not to repeat this.
>>

> Right. You know where I live, if it is necessary, just tell them I am
> the guilty one. They can sue me, I own so little they won't make much :-)
>

>> As a board member, respecting copyright of third parties should not be
>> an optional skill :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mathias
>>

> I think my role as a board member is increasingly becoming extremely
> boring and useless... I oscillate between being told to be a nice
> girly/pompom girl. And being a watch dog crying wolf. I look forward for
> someone else holding this roles with me.
Hoi,
I hope there will be a video. I hope it will be for me to see :) ..
Think about this fairy tale about this girly with a red riding hood..
She may have been eaten by the wolf but it was the wolf that ended up
down in the well with a belly full of stones.

A board member of a foundation has a responsibility to perform his/her
role When people are stupid enough to suggest a board member to be a
"girly/pompom girl", they do not understand the role and responsibility
of a board member and as sadly their own role. I would expect that much
of these "suggestions" happen because of a lack of communication and
miscommunication. From a community point of view, the observation that
one community board member leaves prematurely and another community
board member tells us that she is suggested to be a "girly/pompom girl"
makes me feel really upset about the current state of the Wikimedia
Foundation.

The suggestion that there is a lot of miscommunication is the
friendliest way of saying "who the fuck do you think you are" to the
people making such suggestions. A board member cannot be a watch dog
calling wolf. It is to a board member to ensure that the necessary
action is taken when wolfs are spotted. It is up to the organisation and
it's personnel to ensure that the board members are properly informed
and that appropriate and agreed upon measures are taken to keep the
wolves at bay. In this it is the organisation and it's personnel that
need board approval not the other way round.

Thanks,
    GerardM