[Foundation-l] Verifiability: Constitution?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Sep 17 05:27:45 UTC 2006

Christoph Seydl wrote:

>Well, I found some statements in the English Wikipedia-version, but no
>undoubted source above it. The English-speaking Wikipedia is normatively
>on the same hierarchical level as the German-speaking version.
>
>Where is the universal principle of verifiability codified and defined?

Saying that we follow the principle of verifiability should be enough.
When you get too specific, we unfortunately have many people who are
determined to take it to extremes at either end of the scale.  Some will
accept the most ephemeral of data as verification, while others will
insist that even the most broadly observed information must '''always'''
show references.

The urgency of verifiability also depends on the nature of the subject
matter.  It is broadly accepted that the biographies of living persons
require documentation, especially if what is said about the person can
have negative overtones.  Verifying details about fictitious characters
is much less urgent.  Another important factor about good verification
is can I go to the source that is mentioned, now or at any time in the
future, and confirm that it says exactly what it is supposed to say.
This need not need to mean that I should be able to find the image
directly on the Net.  I may need to travel to look at the book, or
perhaps it is available by interlibrary loan.

Ec