[Foundation-l] [Fwd: [Wmfcc-l] Citizendium, a new venture, will "fork" off from online encyclopedia Wikipedia]

Jeffrey V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Sat Sep 16 18:45:42 UTC 2006

Sanger will fail for all the same reasons Wikipedia has hit a wall of
late on growth of articles. Wikipedia has reached critical mass
of information and it's "good enough" in most peoples minds. Beyond
translation activities and divergence into Wikiversity type of programs,
and incremental updates of content, it will hover around 1.4 million
articles until it gets another massive infusion of content from some
other source. There's also the glaring fact the 2% of the community
create 98% of the content on average (based on Slashdot study published
last month). And these 2% usually become inactive after they drop
content into the project. I see a lot of activitiy in recent edits, but
growth has been stagnant for several months and quality has been
improving dramatically.

Without a new information source or innovative technology play, Sanger
will fail.

Jeff