[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 18:05:51 UTC 2006

On 9/16/06, Erik Moeller <eloquence at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I am on the
> record as stating that the majority of any future expanded Board
> should be elected by the community (possibly through a membership
> model, but not necessarily so).
[snip]

Although I have been generally opposed to stacking our board with
insiders simply because we have so much to learn from outside views, I
wonder what you would think of taking the top N approved people from
the current election for the board?

Perhaps it's a bit late at this juncture, but it is true that
multi-winner elections are relieved of some of the (mathematically
necessary) unfairness of single winner elections.

[snip]
> In the future, perhaps each candidate statement should
> have a "slot" for endorsements. That way, Board members and others
> could easily make their opinions known.
[snip]

Whoa there!
Endorsements are not discussion!

Although endorsements are tolerable, they are not the stuff that good
votes are made of... The important point in Jimbo's post was to
discuss!

Our election should *not* be a popularity contest.