[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 12:09:46 UTC 2006

On 9/16/06, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/16/06, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My personal strong feeling is that instead of choosing one appointed
> > member, the board should appoint two, and appoint them as *permanent*,
> > life members of the board . Daniel Mayer and Angela Beesley.
>
> Please, no... I left for a reason. Well, about 10 reasons actually.
> I'm very pleased I won't be doing this in a week's time. :)

Well, indeed I am not endorsing you for getting elected to the
position you hold at the moment (that woud be ridiculous). But an
appointment for a quite different role, the one that the current
appointees have fulfilled quite nicely. Not necessarily being all that
active at all times, but being a safeguard.

> My view on who should be elected is already public, but for those who
> don't read meta, I believe Erik is the only candidate capable of
> having any positive influence within the current Board.

This is a strong statement. And while I can understand how you might
see it that way, your evaluation of the other candidates is perhaps
clouded by the fact that you have not perhaps observed the other
candidates as closely as you have Eric. Personally I reject the notion
that there is any only one candidate or only one person who can act
beneficiently in any one role.

I think your insticts are right, but I don't think your judgement is accurate.

> Later, when
> that Board is expanded and the continuous internal conflicts are
> resolved, I would agree that Mindspillage and Oscar may be good
> candidates in future. I would also trust Steve Dunlop and Juan David
> Ruiz in the role, but right now - Erik is what the Board and
> Foundation needs.

I won't contradict any of what you say, but I think this election
should not be about resolving conflicts internal to the board, but to
work toward making sure that there wouldn't be internal conflicts
within the board. I think it should be up to the electorate to decide
if electing Erik would best ensure a lack of conflict.

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, AKA. Cimon Avaro

Candidate for Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation in the
September 2006 elections.