[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 09:56:58 UTC 2006

Hoi,
I doubt that you have asked Angela or Daniel Meyer if they want to be a
"life board member" of the Wikimedia Foundation. I think floating such an
idea is irresponsible. Given that Angela decided that she no longer wants to
be a board member should be respected. By pressing her to accept such a role
it can also be considered a vote of no confidence on the people who are
still on the board.

Given that you are a candidate for exactly the position that Angela vacated,
I think you have shot yourself in the foot. You are aware are you not that
there will be this thing in Europe where the WMF considers how to look at
it's future? I think that would be a much better platform to discuss issues
like how to replace Tim. At this moment it is exclusively for Jimmy to
replace him if he so chooses to do this.

Given that there is to be this thing in Europe, you will be part of it when
you are chosen to be there. The worst thing that can happen is if there is
going to be a bout of infighting now that there is this opportunity to
create some clarity and focus about the organisation and how it functions.

Clarity is needed because of the secrecy and the lack of responsiveness
needs to be replaced with a reasoned and reasonable openness combined with
at least the minimal courtesy of an acknowledgment of receipt when it has
been asked for. Focus is needed, because there are many opportunities for
us. These opportunities will nor remain there indefinitely and we have a bad
record on this. No is often a great answer, yes is often a great answer no
answer is an open invitation to more confusion and more cross purpose
activity. Focus is needed because there is a tendency to be overwhelmed by
all the things that could be done. It is much better to be clear what the
WMF is capable of and leave the rest to other associated organgisations.
Focus is needed because it allows us to finish things so that we can move to
new stuff. Clarity and focus will bring us less work because many of the
issues we deal with are there because we have not positioned the WMF well
and we have not made it clear what people are free to do within the WMF
framework.

Thanks,
    GerardM