[Foundation-l] Observer story on China and Wikipedia

Jeffrey V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Mon Sep 11 04:20:24 UTC 2006

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:

>>Wikipedia defies China's censors

It's their country, it's communist, and there are not guaranteed rights
for those people. I find it interesting to discuss the Demoncratic
Revolt with the censors - I doubt they want salt rubbed in that old
wound and embrassment for their government . Near as I can tell, most of
the hacking is done by their government officials anyway to shut down
Wikipedia mirror and primary sites. They've been hacking wikigadugi.org
since it was setup to the point I have disabled SSHD on the external
Intenet addresses for the Server Proxy Caches. I've got the DNS entries
setup to randomly swap out unique Dynamic IP addresses for China IP
ranges for the proxies so their blocking does not work at my site - it
cycles through new IP addresses about once a week, and from what I can
tell several schools in China are getting access to the English content.

Jeff