[Foundation-l] Use of Wikimedia-Logo's in articles

Tuvic tuvic.tuvic at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 17:46:39 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:
> Uh, no. I noticed it.
> I just have no idea what to say. The logo is copyright. Period.
> It is correct that using it is "with permission", so by some standards,
> not allowed (not free content).
>
> I have no comment to make on this, because I think it would be stupid to
> remove it as obviously the Foundation is not gonna argue, nor sue.
> On the other hand, if we follow the will of our most convinced editors,
> indeed the logo should not be there.
>
> I will propose a rule of thumb. If the logo is in an article, who may be
> published or republished by any website without us feeling unconfortable
> with, then do publish it.
> If the logo use is of such type we would prevent reuse by legal means or
> ask money for the re-use, then do not put in the encyclopédia.
>
> but well...

Ok. I already suspected the Foundation wasn't going to sue themselves
for use of the logo in an article about Wikipedia (for example).

The rule of thumb you're proposing actually says it can be used, but
not to damage the Foundation, and not to make money from its use
alone.
I'll mention your mail in the village pump at nl-wiki, but the most
convinced editors probably won't agree with the image being in the
article.
Maybe it's an idea to discuss this and make an offical policy about
it, but in the mean time we'll try to cope with it as good as it gets.

Greetings, Tuvic