[Foundation-l] COPPA

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 16:46:57 UTC 2006

On 9/8/06, Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Wikimedia Foundation is exempt from COPPA due to its status as a
> non-profit organization not engaged in commerce.

The US goverment would disagree:

Who Must Comply

If you operate a commercial Web site or an online service directed to
children under 13 that collects personal information from children or
if you operate a general audience Web site and have actual knowledge
that you are collecting personal information from children, you must
comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/coppa.htm

The actual text of the law is complex and I would not venture an
opinion on what effect it should have on the current activites of the
foundation

--
geni