[Foundation-l] How not to manage opensource project

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 05:54:06 UTC 2006

Late coming eh? However ...

> Does it mean that the foundation is involved in every little decision?
> Of course not, but that is not what "governs" and "manages" means.

As Anthere said, those two words can mean the very "involved in every
decision" or at least "responsible in every little decision" in some
cultures/contries. Those who come from those areas could understand
those words in that meaning, not a US guy might have meant. And both
of two can hardly realize they have found different connotations
there. Unless they face the result of different analysis. In this
thread, it arose between two people who have been working together for
years and in good terms, and even that, it took a series of mails. And
as Anthere said, in Japanese (or in Japanese contexts) manage and
govern could mean more serious intervention/responsibility. In another
cultural context, it could mean another attitude and deed.

That's a fun and difficulty in an intercultural communication. What
you said can be always taken in a different way. What you understand
can be different from what you heard. Vise versa. Essentially there is
nothing different in communication in your neighborhood. Just
differences can be easily amplified.

So, for being well understood, please be aware of those possibility;
here you are talking for people whose cultural backgrounds could be
different. Specially, I would like English native speakers to be
consious to it. International communication is not totally same with
talk to your neighborhood, it needs a different attention, wording,
attention of different type. If someone said very rudeness, it would
be your misunderstood or just his or her misunderstanding.

--
Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org