[Foundation-l] Can a wikimedia-b list be setup

Pat Gunn pgunn at dachte.org
Wed Sep 6 20:38:13 UTC 2006

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>I guess the real question here is defining who "we" is. I see "we" as
>the whole of planet earth,
>not just the current incarnation of the community. As for point 11, when
>people are investing money
>to see THEIR goals fulfilled, you kindof have to balance all the
>concerns of the various players.
>Not an easy task.

Given that our community is motivated by ideology (not a bad thing --
idealism is an underestimated thing in today's world), we need to
be extra careful to not let our goals fall astray. I would prefer
that the foundation bend very little or not at all (absolutely
no exclusivity arrangements with any business) on these matters.
If we look to our future audience, we can best serve them by keeping
the project from being corrupted by the quickest path to growth.
We don't need to care about anyone else's concerns but the
foundation and its projects. IMO, if external dealings require
such secrecy, we should simply show people and companies that
require such things to the door. I've seen volunteer communities
destroyed by such things before -- it's an ugly thing.

---
Pat Gunn
mod: csna, bmcm, bmco, cooa, cona, clpd, coom
http://dachte.org
If lightning is the anger of the gods, then the gods are concerned
mostly with trees -- Lao Tze