[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Youth Camp?

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 14:19:50 UTC 2006

On 9/6/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Also lets not forget that young people have much
> longer holidays than most people.  I would think
> younger people are more likely to be able to attend
> and event a week before Wikimania.
>
> Although I do wonder whether we really want to take on
> being responsibile for minors.  It would require a lot
> more effort than just producing Wikimania does.  I
> think if we can partner with a group that has
> experience and a good reputation with the "youth camp"
> issues, then it would be great for us to provide the
> Wikimedia aspect.  If we are doing this on our own
> however I think it would be too risky of a
> proposition.

I agree, that's why a session before Wikimania with maybe 12-16 folks
would be an ideal start. If we're talking 50-100, then I agree -
having to manage that many teenagers under one roof would be daunting.
We'd need the help of an academic institution that has experience
running a summer program or something similar.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)